Thursday, November 30, 2017

First Flight

When I was nine we lived in Florida. My father and step mother got separated and went on to get divorced. My Aunt Joyce came to Fla where we were living at the time to care for us. It was decided to send me to Bryn Athyn Pennsylvania to stay at my aunts house for a few weeks until it could be decided what would be done with me and my sisters.  I was to fly by myself!!! It was my first air flight. I flew to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from Miami, Florida  on Eastern Airlines which is no longer an airline today. The airport in Miami was really small. A long, one- story building with a parking lot for cars on one side and a parking lot for Airplanes on the other!! seriously I think it just wasn’t as popular a mode of travel as it is now.
I remember getting dressed up to go on this flight. I wore white patten leather shoes with white socks that had lace at the edges. I had my favorite outfit on...a hand me down from Maren Sharpsteen. It was a skirt with a matching top. The skirt was white skirt had purple and blue tulips all the way around the bottom hem...and the same pattern was on the sleeveless top that buttoned up the back ...I also wore a soft white cardigan sweater. I felt so grown up.

My aunt Joyce and my sisters took me to the airport. They stood waving at the exit door of the building as I walked out onto the tarmac with a stewardess, mounting the steps to the plane and looking back at them with a smile and a wave...I got in the airplane and that was when I realized that everyone on the plane except me and the stewardess were men and they were all smoking. That was back in the day when you could smoke on a plane...thankfully not anymore. I loved the flight. It was fun. It was bumpy though because there was a rainstorm...amazingly enough I didn’t get sick...not even felt sick!! I was too excited to be sick.
When I arrived in Philadelphia the stewardess walked with me to the entrance of the Philadelphia airport then a lot smaller than it is now!! and my Aunt Doreen and Uncle Rey were waiting for me to take me home to Bryn Athyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment