Sunday, January 29, 2017

Mother's Day

Having seven children I qualify to celebrate Mother's Day. Mother's Day is a day set aside by the commercial industry and fed by media blitz' once a year to make money. Incredibly beautiful sentimental cards abound on line and in stores. Personally, I like the ones children make themselves. Each year teachers in most elementary schools spend time helping the children make little gifts or cards for their mothers. The subtle message of these  projects are recognition and gratitude. One hopes that children are taught recognition, affirmation and gratitude daily at home as well.   Some schools have special events put on for the mothers inviting them to the school for the morning.  Recognition is really all mother's day is about. Recognition for the daily work that being a mother entails.
I have mixed feelings about mother's day. I wish sometimes that it had never become the commercial holiday it is today. Don't get me wrong, I like the recognition, my heart feels full when my children say wonderful things about what they feel about me and my influence in their lives, however, I like it even more when it comes on its own without the pressure of having to do so because it is a holiday.
Children of their own accord at some point in life,without any help from the media, most likely will acknowledge the work their mothers do to help make their lives function they way in which they do.    I pull out favorite cards that were made years ago for me treasuring the little notes and illustrations. My heart swells and ok my eyes tear up.

No comments:

Post a Comment