Tuesday, November 30, 2010

being a mother

Growing up ! Wow. Lots of ideas pop into my head when I think about that phrase and what it has meant to me. It, growing up, I mean has been a long process and a path that has been quite difficult for me. I was born into a nice little family. Mother, Dad and two older sisters. I had a great family support system in place while in utereo. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and we lived not far from all these relatives so there was a lot of "family" life. The night I was born my mother died delivering me. It wasn't a common thing then either. She hemmoraged from an amniotic embolism.  They could not stop it. Irreversable. And so my life as it could have been changed totally in the first hour that I was born.
Growing up "motherless" is a lot of hard work. There is always research. Granted when you have mothers you are still researching what the latest ways to discipline our kids are, what the best ideas about education are, what clothes you should buy for your kids,
what doctors are the best....all these things are important but many many other women have input from their mothers...women that have raised them that love them, honor them and trust them and visa versa. I didn't have that relationship. So I spent an inordinate amount of time watching other girls with their moms and mothers with their mothers and learned "how to be"
Being a Grandmother is rewarding in many ways one of which is watching my daughters and son lovingly mother my grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment